Monday, July 18, 2011

Customer service

A few weeks ago I got the “Club” magazine from Edgars. I don’t have an Edgars account and to tell you the truth I hardly ever go there but I saw a nice pair of boots in the magazine and decided to go there and check them out.

Because I’m very forgetful I decided to take the magazine with me so that I could find the right pair of boots quickly. When I finally found the boots I tried them on and I liked them but when I looked at the price there was a R100 difference between what they were labelled as and what they were advertised as in the magazine. I thought that perhaps the new price just hadn’t been placed on the box yet so I decided to verify once I was at the cashier.

When I got to the cashier the person attending me was more interested in talking to the client at the cashier next to her than being of service. When she finished I asked her to check the price of the boots on the system and she told me the price is on the box. I then told her that the price in the magazine was different, hence my query, but she just looked at me with a “so what” attitude and showed me the price that was on the box. Since I had the magazine with me I showed it to her and she insisted that the price on the box (R100 more than the price advertised in the magazine) was the price I must pay, so I told her to call the manager. The manager asked the problem was and I explained the situation. He reacted by doing exactly the same thing as the cashier, he showed me the price on the box. I showed him the magazine but he hardly looked at it and said that it is obviously a different pair of boots. I then pointed out details of the boots that showed that the boots are the same. Then he turned around and said that he was going to do me this “favour” by charging the price that the boots were advertised at. Well that made me totally upset and I told him that he wasn’t doing me any favour since as a customer I have the right to receive the goods at the price at which they are advertised.

I left the place with my boots, paying the advertised price, and with the certainty that there is a reason why I am not an Edgars customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment